I love making handmade decorations, I just love sitting down with my girls and creating beautiful handmade items we can be proud of.
We have made flower pots before using the decoupage technique a few years ago as Christmas presents where we covered the pots in pictures. When I heard about making decoupage Wooden hearts using napkins I just had to give it a go.
After a lot of trial and error we finally know how to make them and have made some beautiful hanging decorations ready to hang around the house.
How to make decoupage wooden heart Decorations!
To make decoupage Wooden hearts you will need –
- First you need to prepare your wooden heart surface and make sure it is smooth. You can use sandpaper to give it a light rub down. If you do sand the heart first make sure you remove all the wood dust before moving on to the next step.
- We then painted our wooden hearts white as having this background colour helps bring out the details of the napkin but this step is optional and depends on how you want your heart to look. You could experiment and do one of each and see what one you prefer.
- Cut out the pattern you want from your napkin.
- You then need to separate the ply from the napkins. This step is very important as we found out the hard way. If you don’t separate the ply the napkin will crease and start to separate on the heart. The first sheet of ply will come off easy and with a bit of rubbing and pulling you can then separate it again until you are left with a very thin napkin layer.
- Next cover the heart in a thin layer of Mod Podge
- The carefully place your napkin on the heart making sure it is right side up. When smoothing the napkin down don’t rub it to hard as it will rip. I found that tapping it works better than rubbing. You can also use a sheet of cling film and place over the top before pressing the napkin down this will also help to stop it ripping.
- Leave to dry.
- Once dry cover the whole of the heart in Mod Podge. Repeat this step 3-5 times until you have a nice smooth finish.
To make your heart feel super smooth you can then use your sandpaper to give it a light rub over to erase all the bumps. If you have any overhang of napkin you can also use the sandpaper to take this off.
Tie your string to the top and find somewhere to hang your new beautiful decoration.
If you enjoyed reading my post why not take a look at my other post –
Some of my post contain affiliated links to products where I may receive a small fee if these products are bought.