We love making homemade pizza it is one of our favourites, below is our homemade pizza recipe including the dough for the pizza recipe and why we love it.
After searching through the fridge in the morning trying to think what we could have for dinner tonight without me having to bear a trip to the supermarket I came up with the idea of making our own pizza’s. I had some bread flour in the cupboard and loads of lovely vegetables from the greengrocers that needed to be used up and my children love cooking and are always excited to help out in the kitchen so making a homemade pizza seemed like a win, win situation.
Looking forward to Pizza
I did quickly make the dough before I picked the girls up from school as it needed time to proof before we could roll it. Once we got back from school and I told the girls what we were having for dinner and that they would be making it they were so excited. They have never got changed and washed their hands so fast.
Back at the table, they were all poised and ready to begin. I divided the dough up and they carefully rolled out there piece into what resembled a pizza shape then placed it on a piece of tin foil. We then set out to make the toppings and the base sauce. The girls helped to chop all the vegetables and grate the cheese ready to put on the pizza.
I had decided that we were going to make our own sauce for the pizza base rather than just smear over some tomato puree as we have done in the past. I was really apprehensive about it as I have never made my own sauce before and was worried how it would turn out but it was delicious and I was so glad I took the time to make it.
How will it turn out
I was worried about how the pizza would taste but even if I do say so myself, it was the best pizza I have ever had. It was so good and full of flavour. There was not a single slice of pizza left, clean plates all round.
Making homemade pizza with children is definitely an activity I would recommend and will be doing more often. Not only did it teach my girls basic cooking skills, but I got to make dinner whilst keeping the girls entertained and I love a bit of multi-tasking.
Homemade Pizza Recipe
Pizza base dough
375g strong bread flour
1 Tsp salt
7g dried active yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
225ml warm water
5 – 6 large tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
A few basil leaves
1 tsp salt
Anything you like
- Preheat oven to 180° fan assisted
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a bowl. Then finely chop the rosemary into the mixture.
- Mix in the oil and warm water until you have a dough, you may need to add a bit more flour if too sticky.
- Leave the dough to rest for a good few hours so the dough can rise. Just before rolling it is best to put in the fridge for 30 minutes as it makes it easier to roll.
- To make the sauce chop and quarter 5 – 6 large tomatoes, chopped 2 cloves of garlic, and a bunch of basil finely chopped and add to a pan with a cup of water. Put a lid on the pan and simmer for around 10 minutes or until tomatoes have dissolved and started to mix into the water.
- Add a tablespoon of tomato puree and a teaspoon of salt and cook for a further 3 minutes stirring continuously.
- Get your dough and split into even portions we made 4 big pizza’s but you could make smaller size ones. Then roll out to a flat pizza base and place on tin foil. Pour a good heap of sauce into the middle and using the back of a spoon spread around your pizza and cover in cheese. Then add to your pizza any topping that you desire.
- Cook for 20 -25 minutes.
Let me know in the comments how you found my homemade pizza recipe.
Some of my posts contain affiliated links to products where I may receive a small fee if these products are bought.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Why not also take a look at some of my other recipes –
- Go Sketch Club – Virtual Art Classes ReviewWe had the opportunity to review Go Sketch Club’s fabulous Anime and Manga Faces virtual …
- Atch…oops by Nicky Gilbody Book ReviewThis month we have had the pleasure of reviewing the marvellous children’s rhyming picture book …
- Top 5 Writing Tips for AuthorsBelow are my 5 top tips for writers – Writing Tip Number 1 If you …
- Jasper the Firefighting Dragon – Book ReviewThis month we have been reviewing the wonderful children’s picture book Jasper the Firefighting Dragon. …
- Children’s Summer Activity SheetThe summer holidays are nearly here and our kids will soon be off on their …
- My Dad’s Jokes are Very (Terribly, Awfully, Painfully) Bad! – Book ReviewWe have been reviewing the hilarious new book My Dad’s Jokes are Very (Terribly, Awfully, …